Friday, September 29, 2006

No! Not my YouTube!

Only a "moron" would buy YouTube, says Cuban

Say what you want about Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks and billionare investor and dot-com veteran. He maybe crazy on the sidelines of a basketball game, but when it comes to the internet, I think he knows what he is talking about:

Cuban, co-founder of HDNet and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, also said YouTube would eventually be "sued into oblivion" because of copyright violations. "They are just breaking the law," Cuban told a group of advertisers in New York.
You know what? He is absolutely right. Although there is a lot of orignal content on YouTube, I am staggered by the amount of copyrighted material. For example, I found that someone posted parts of the new Superman Returns movie online. It was obviously filmed overseas because it had subtitles in a language I haven't seen before. This movie isn't even out of some theaters yet!
One thing I don't understand is why someone hasn't gone after YouTube yet. Cuban touches on this subject as well:

"The only reason it hasn't been sued yet is because there is nobody with big money to sue."
Oh...I see. Since YouTube does not have deep pockets, nobody is willing to sue them. What ever happened to protecting your work? I guess it is only worth protecting if you can get a lot of money in return. I just see it as more Hollywood double-speak. If you really cared about your stuff being ripped off, then do something about it now, not just when the company you are suing has a lot of money.

That being said, I think YouTube can still exist as a site where people post original stuff on there, but all of this copyrighted stuff has to go. I hope that YouTube doesn't go the way of Napster because I love my YouTube!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

It's all about the $$$$. That's the market place - free enterprise.

Seriously, though, even most of the copyrighted work is all about the money, not really the art of it. I mean, how much art is in Superman Returns? (Not that it wasn't a great movie, but you know what I mean.)

ok, I'm done.

10/03/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger leisa said...

Yeah...I agree.

But I love me some YouTube.

10/03/2006 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home